Friday, May 29, 2015

May 29, 2015

Hello everyone, it’s been awhile since I have talked at you.  Things are good, things are busy and the fish are biting (some days!).  Turkey season has ended in a number of states, including my home state of Minnesota where it closed yesterday.  We had a very good season and had some awesome experiences with first timers and veterans.  When I say veterans, I guess both types (war veterans and veteran turkey hunters).  I had the pleasure of guiding for Bud Grant at Camp Ripley earlier this month and even though Bud didn’t get to squeeze the trigger, we did have a close encounter.  His buddy Bob Lessard did bag one, and at 82 years old Bob finally bagged his first gobbler....pretty darn exciting!  You should have been there to hear him and Bud talk about how Bob’s hunt unfolded, I was rolling.  



Another highlight to this past turkey season was that both of my daughter’s had opportunities to shoot gobblers with the crossbow and Elizabeth bagged one!  Alex missed, but she went out all by herself and called in her own birds....pretty cool.  Our son, Mac, didn’t let fly, he was hunting with his bow and arrow and the two long beards that we saw were out just a bit far for his ability.  

So, enough of the turkey’s!  Fishing season is in full swing and with the water temperatures up in the 60’s now the bite is starting to pick up.  The crappies were on their beds last week and the smallmouth bass were on their beds on Mille Lacs just the other day when we were there.  I had two boys from Texas out and they had an absolute blast catching smallmouth bass!  I am preparing now for tomorrow’s Minnesota Fishing Challenge that benefits Minnesota Adult and Teen Challenge.  My daughter Alex and I will fish together again this year and we will just have to see how things go!  

-Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment